Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The Road to Bricks Cascade 2015 - Superhero Trophies



9 days and counting until Bricks Cascade begins.  Yikes! 

Trophies

Today’s post is about the trophies for the Superhero theme at Bricks Cascade.  Which really makes me wish that I had them all finished. 

As I sit here, delivery estimates on the requisite BrickLink orders are Thursday and Friday.  Ideally, all the trophies will be finalized late Friday afternoon.  So please, keep in mind that what I’m about to show you are all work in progress shots. 

“I’M THE BEST THERE IS AT WHAT I DO”
Best in Superheroes Theme

Keeping in mind that this year’s overall convention theme is “Lights! Camera! Action!”:  When I was informed that as Theme Coordinator, I’d be responsible for building the trophies for my theme, the very first thought I had was of the Academy Awards.  With a movie based theme, why not movie award based awards? 

I was originally thinking I might have all of my trophies depicting superheroes at the podium, handing out awards.  But then I started getting other ideas about some of the trophies, and decided to save the award show gimmick for the ‘Best in Theme’ trophy. 

And, of course, BEST in Theme brought to mind the classic Wolverine quote, “I’m the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn’t very nice.”  So:  The trophy quickly became Wolvie handing out a gold trophy for the best MOC in the superheroes theme. 

I had a lot of fun building this little thing.  It is the first trophy I’ve ever built, and will probably always hold a special place in my heart. 

And here it is (mostly): 

 

The light bley support pieces between the white columns are placeholders, until the exact same pieces (only in red) show up in my mail to serve as a proper awards show curtain. 

“TO THE BATCAVE, ROBIN”
Best Lair/Headquarters

The trophy for best lair or headquarters is the one currently least finished.  The one with the most inbound parts from elsewhere.  Because of that, I’m neither showing the work in progress shot (’cause there’s not that much progress to show), nor describing it (in case it doesn’t work like I have planned and I end up doing something different with it). 

“BUILT LIKE A BRICK HOUSE”
Best Brick-Built Figure

I know that a lot of the superhero MOCs at these things tend to be fairly large, brick-built versions of superheroes.  With that in mind, I wanted a trophy for the best of the brick-built superheroes or villains. 

The phrase ‘Built like a brick $#^!house” popped into my head.  Early, and often.  The song “She’s a Brick House” played in my head, unbidden (and usually unwelcome).  That gave me my trophy’s title. 

I decided that a trophy for best brick-built character needed to depict a brick built character.  Then the weird voices in my head demanded that I include minifig workers on ladders, assembling the thing. 

Why Raphael?  Well, with a Wolverine (that’s Marvel, guys) quote for one trophy, Batcave (a DC location) in the title of the second, my obsessive/compulsive brain insisted that the third trophy should be from LEGO’s third licensed superhero theme.  Which led me to build my favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle for the trophy. 

This time the placeholders are the light bley plates and tiles used for the shell and plastron.  They’ll be dark tan once those parts get here. 

 

 

“GOOD IN A CRISIS”
Best in ‘Crisis on Infinite Baseplates’ Collaborative Build

And finally, we have the trophy for the best MOC in the “Crisis on Infinite Baseplates” collaborative build. 

This one’s fairly simple.  A black ARTIFICE Gate with trans-red energy block.  The nicest looking ARTIFICE Gate I could build without sending an order overseas for expensive chromed bricks. 

 

How Many Trophies?

Each theme at Bricks Cascade is allowed up to three trophies.  I’ll be bringing up four.  Which means, in all likelihood, that one of them will come back home with me instead of getting presented. 

After submitting the info for the three trophies in the theme, I asked if I could have a trophy for the Collaborative Build.  I was told yes, and I figured that was that.  I’ve since heard conflicting information on whether my Crisis trophy is additional, or a replacement for one of the others. 

My hope here is that the Superheroes theme really does prove itself to be the Little Theme That Could, and ends up with so many wonderful MOCs that the powers that be will decide to let me award all four trophies.  Time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment